Next February 16th we will be holding the Institute’s 5th Annual Conference to celebrate together yet another year full of research, training and dissemination.
“Forging links between innovation and sustainability. Fostering innovation to deal with new environmental and social challenges”
This year we will be looking at the relationship between sustainability and innovation, two main issues on organisations’ agendas. A great deal has been written about these two subjects (particularly as regards specific examples of sustainable products and services) and how they are innovative and generate value for organisations, but this is not what we are interested in.
In fact, we believe that at the present time any multinational company can achieve a variety of sustainable projects that are innovative and successful. But what interests us are those organisations that have established sustainability and innovation as cornerstones of their business models and therefore consider these two aspects to be the two most important factors of their competitive edge.
Last year we presented the study Sustainable Innovation Strategies. Exploring the cases of Danone and Interface by Marc Vilanova and Pax Dettoni, in which we analysed two case studies in depth and, with a view to learning general lessons extending beyond each specific case, we pinpointed ten specific qualities that can boost the role of sustainable innovation in organisations’strategic management. Such organisations:
- Aim to develop inspirational leaders.
- Have a sustainable outlook.
- Are willing to take risks and understand that success is something organisations need from time to time if they are to survive.
- Develop and foster a culture of sustainable innovation.
- Incorporate sustainability into all their products and services, not just one range of products.
- Have a committed team and good working environments.
- Understand that innovation should come from everyone and everything, not just direct investment in R&D.
- Want their organisation to offer challenges not only for employees but also for all stakeholders.
- Have an optimistic organisation able to overcome challenges.
- Are genuine, i.e. what they do is in line with what they say.
During the 5th Annual Conference of the Social Innovation Institute we aim to discuss a variety of areas with you all: sustainability, innovation, leadership, responsibility, methodologies, collaboration, networks, creativity, etc.
The programme we propose combines conferences and themed workshops with foremost speakers, in a congress providing an opportunity for joint reflection and sharing knowledge and experiences.
We believe it is important to reinvent ourselves and our organisations every day, in the solid conviction that sustainability and innovation are two sides of the same coin that cannot exist without each other, like a deliberate, strategic choice that will improve our competitive edge and quality.
Sponsors of the Institute and the conference:
With the collaboration: